This year marks Selectel’s 10-year anniversary! We’re so excited that we’ll be celebrating all year. Let’s kick it off by looking back to what life was like when the company was first founded. Below are some of the biggest events we can remember happening about ten years ago (warning: reading the following list might make you feel old).
- Steve Jobs introduced the world to the iPhone
- Windows Vista was released globally
- The final version of GPLv3 was published
- Blu-ray took on the HD DVD in the high definition optical disc format war
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was published and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was one of the highest grossing films worldwide
- The hashtag was introduced to Twitter
- Marvel debuted the first Iron Man movie and DC released The Dark Knight
- China hosted the Olympic Games in Beijing and Russia was named to host the 2014 Olympic Games
- PlayStation 3 finally arrived in Europe
- Fallout 3 was released
- General production started of the Tesla Roadster
- AirBnB Was founded
- CERN’s Large Hadron Collider was officially inaugurated
- Falcon 1 launched into orbit
- The Spotify music service was launched
- Bitcoins cost…well, those still weren’t around. But in a few years you’d be able to buy 1,310 bitcoins for $1 US
Selectel was founded amidst all of this. But look at how much we’ve done since then: we’ve become the largest provider of IT infrastructure solutions for companies doing business in Russia, built six data centers, launched new services on cutting-edge technology, assembled a great team, and earned the trust of over 15,000 clients.
We’d like to thank everyone who’s joined us on this journey; none of this would have been possible without you. We’ll be continuing our retrospective of the past decade (and change), so keep an eye out for future publications!
What milestones have you passed over the past ten years? Feel free to share with us in the comments below!